The 6 Best Winches For The Money – Reviews 2018
Whether you need a reliable winch for the odd time that you have to pull your boat out of the water or you require something that will be used on a regular basis, my best winch for the money review will point you in the right direction.
Table Of Contents
- Top Picks Of Best Winch for the Money 2018 Reviews
- 1. Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV 12 VDC winch 3,000lbs/1360kg with roller fairlead
- 2. Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 3500lbs/1591kg single line pull with roller fairlead
- 3. Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch - 9500 lb. Load Capacity
- 4. Superwinch LT2000 12V Utility Winch (2,000lb),Pink
- 5. TEKTON 5552 1200-lb. Hand Winch Cable
- 6. Champion 4500-lb. ATV/UTV Wireless Winch Kit
- Step By Step Winch Buying Guide
- Final Note
From manually operated trailer winches to full electric units with roller fairleads and tons of line pull, my guide is designed to help you make the best-informed buying choice for your specific requirements.
If you operate a tow truck or a 4x4 that is likely to be taking some off-road excursions, a winch is going to be a must-have piece of equipment, so choosing the right one for the job could prove to be crucial.
You only want to buy it once and that is why it pays to get it right the first time because you will only find out just how good your winch is when it comes to the crunch and you need it most.
Top Picks Of Best Winch for the Money 2018 Reviews
1. Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV 12 VDC winch 3,000lbs/1360kg with roller fairlead
With a rated line pull of 3,000 pounds, the Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV has all the pulling power you are likely to need. This is a real professional winch that comes complete with a full roller fairlead for accurate and neat cable layering.
You can tell straight away that this winch is right at the business end of the range and it won’t disappoint you.
The mechanical dynamic braking facility ensures 100% automatic load holding and quick stopping without cable slippage. A waterproof wander lead with 12 feet of rubber cable ensures safe remote winching.
The powerful permanently magnetized electric motor provides for the most efficient power consumption via a 3 stage planetary gear chain. Cabling is via a 3/16” wire rope and standard safety hook. When it comes to value-for-money it is always hard to beat a Superwinch and this model is no exception.
2. Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 3500lbs/1591kg single line pull with roller fairlead
The Terra 35 is the big daddy of the electric Superwinch family and not without good reason. A high efficiency permanently magnetized low-draw motor provides the quite yet consistent pulling power needed for those serious winching jobs.
Its more than ample power is smoothly delivered to the 50 foot long 13/64” wire rope via a 3 stage planetary gear train made from rugged steel construction gears with oil pocket bronze bearings.
The winch comes with a full kit that includes a 4-way roller fairlead, color-coded connection harness, heavy duty safety hook, and a sealed solenoid system with full circuit breaker protection too.
Holding and braking are provided by a highly functional mechanical brake and auto holding facility. A fully locking positive lever system provides for fast free spooling of the cable for winching up to the full extent of the cable.
3. Smittybilt 97495 XRC Winch - 9500 lb. Load Capacity
It could be easy to be fooled by the Smittybilt’s 97495 compact dimensions into thinking that it is a medium duty winch but that would be far from the truth. This gutsy little unit delivers a massive 9,500 pounds of load capacity.
It has a shed load of standard features that you would only expect to find on some of the more expensive commercial units. These include a full mechanical free-spool facility and a full 4-way roller fairlead.
The amphibious motor makes this unit ideal for serious off-road work and boat winching. A state-of-the-art 500AMP solenoid provides for precise current delivery that is transferred to the cable drum via a conventional 3 stage planetary gear train.
Smittybilt is confident enough to back up this amazing winch by offering a lifetime mechanical warranty and placing the unit in their “full recovery” category.
4. Superwinch LT2000 12V Utility Winch (2,000lb),Pink
When it comes to inexpensive utility winching the Superwinch LT2000 leads the way. This 12V electric unit has a pull-out clutch for fast free-spooling, push button wander-lead operation, and 49 feet of 5/32 winch cable.
It is the perfect tool for occasional winching of boats and for mounting onto lighter duty vehicles.
The LT2000 12V also features the built-in safety of an overload circuit cut-out and a heavy-duty latch hook. For users who intend to make higher demands on this gutsy little winch, there is an upgrade kit available for converting it to the 2,000 LB ATV.
A permanently magnetized motor and 153 to 1 gear ratio make maximum use of the available power that this unit delivers.
5. TEKTON 5552 1200-lb. Hand Winch Cable
For those manual winching jobs, you can’t go far wrong with the well-built Tekton 5552 1200-lb winch. The solid construction and quality design make this an ideal hand winch for loads that require pulling capacities right up to and including 1,200 pounds.
Easy to install and simple to use, the unit is suitable for a wide range of light-duty winching operations such as loading boats and other low friction winching.
A full 65 feet of heavy-duty aircraft grade cable facilitates plenty of range for winching and the positive ratchet ensures against reverse spooling.
The single speed, hand-cranked, 4 to 1 gearing keeps winching effort to a minimum and the comfort grip handle plays its part too. If you need a reliable and efficient manual winch, you need to take a good look at the Tekton 5552 1200-lb hand winch.
6. Champion 4500-lb. ATV/UTV Wireless Winch Kit
If you are looking for a powerful electric winch that is loaded with features, you can stop looking right now because of the Champion 4500-lb. ATV/UTV Wireless Winch Kit will deliver everything that you need.
The full wireless remote control means that this unit can be operated from as far away as a 50-foot radius making it both safe and convenient.
With an incredible line speed of 4.6 ft. /minute it is by no means slow and it comes with everything you need to start winching as soon as it is installed.
The 38 feet of aircraft cable is smoothly fed through a 4-way roller fairlead and the safety latch hook ensures that the load stays on the line no matter how rough the terrain gets.
Step By Step Winch Buying Guide
The key to buying the best winch for your specific needs is most likely going to be a balance of the amount of usage, the type of usage, and the cost of the unit. I have listed a few pointers below that may prove to be useful when it comes to choosing the ideal unit for your own specific winching requirements.
1) The vehicle or trailer that you intend to fit the winch onto: is one of the most important factors when making your choice. There is little point, for instance, in fitting a top-line heavy-duty winch to a lightly constructed trailer or vehicle that weighs considerably less than the vehicles that it will winch. This applies whether you intend to winch for recovery or loading purposes.
2) The size of your vehicle: this is a crucial consideration if you intend to fit a winch to the front or rear of a vehicle with the intention of using it for self-recovery such as off-road driving. While some 4x4’s and ATV’s lend themselves well to the mounting of a winch, it is not always a given that every vehicle will be suitable without some kind of structural modification. The upshot of this is that in some cases at least, this can be a limiting factor to both a winch’s capacity and physical dimensions.
3) The type of work you will be doing: should be a major deciding factor when settling on the type of winch to use. A tow truck is likely to do far more winching than a boat trailer for instance and your own ATV or 4x4 may only utilize the winch very occasionally if indeed at all.
4) Winch capacities: should be taken into consideration because there is little point in purchasing pulling power if you are never going to need it. While a simple manual hand-cranked winch may be all you need for winching boats and other low friction loads, heavier pulling will call for a heavier duty unit.
5) Your vehicles electrical system: plays a vital role in the operation of an electrically powered winch. When used continuously, winches can quickly drain a car, SUV, or ATV battery. The secret is to always use an electric winch in short bursts and allow intervals for the vehicles charging system to top up the battery capacity. There are of course the options of fitting bigger capacity batteries or even utilizing a split charging system to ensure that your winch never drains the main battery.
When it comes to choosing the best winches for the money, I trust that the above reviews and buying tips have helped point you in the right direction. You should now hopefully be better informed than you were when you first began your search for a winch.
All that remains now is for you to weigh up your options against your winching requirements and choose the ideal unit for your specific requirements and your vehicle.
Provided you make the best-informed choice you should be able to locate and purchase a winch that represents the best value-for-money and efficiently does the job that you need it for.